Monday, May 26, 2014

Ramblings about The Fault In Our Stars.

I decided, after much debate, that I would read the book before seeing the movie.  It took a while to decide to actually read the book because I didn't want to 'ruin' the movie.  I figured most movies that are based on books wined up being so far removed from the true story and that this one couldn't be much different...

I can say with much certainty that I was instantly enamored by the honest and sarcastically raw essence of the writing.  There was a poetic quality throughout the book that somehow gave me comfort even in the saddest parts.  It seems to be an all too true representation of a life with terminal illness; heartbreaking. But yet, that tender, passionate love story was worth all the sadness and bitter fits of honesty in the end.  I loved so much that this wasn't your typical love-does-no-wrong, princess-in-fairy-land story.  I love that the lovers got angry with each other and still continued to love.  I love that there were faults in each character. That the main love interest who, in any fairy-tale-type story, would have been the 'perfect prince charming', was not perfect.  He didn't need to be perfect, because, in his imperfection he was perfect, and it was beautiful.

The abundant use of adjectives was immediately noticeable.  I kind of loved that, actually.  The wording and ideas behind the phrases reminded myself  of my own creative writing style.(Not my jumbled up thoughts here, things people never see. lol)  I enjoyed that the author somehow thought similarly to me.  There was random observations and connections that anyone with a normal functioning brain would just scratch their heads and roll their eyes too.  Although, I liked the way the book was written, I found the style to change approximately midway through the book.  There was still a few pockets of that open, poetic, run-on wording but, I found it to be less in the second half.

There were some aspects of the book I didn't like:

  1.  It seemed like the story moved too quickly.  I understand that the connection was meant to be instantaneous, however, I wish there was more.  The physical book is thick but its not too long considering the large font and wide margins.  
  2. I do wish the kids in the story were, maybe, 2 years older. I think their love would have been slightly more realistic if they had been slightly older.  Finding your soul-mate at 16 is pushing it for me.
  3. There was a lot of profanity.  For the most part I believe the use of cuss words were justified in context, I just I don't appreciate the use of swears in a typical conversation.
  4. From a christian standpoint-This is not a christian book.  There were numerous references to the big bang theory, reincarnation, heaven, after life, etc.  While not all these topics are taboo, it was clear the people in the story did not believe the same things I do.  Although, these matters of 'beliefs' were handled delicately enough to leave the matter more of a wondrous one and not concrete.  If you are only into reading Christian literature, this might not be for you. 

Some may say there is too much pessimism in the story but I think it was less about being disconsolate and more about realizing and accepting the unfairness in life.  Which, to be fair, is a beautiful example of how the world is not a wish granting factory. 

I can't tell you if I love it or utterly hate it.  Like, Hate with a deep fiery burning passion.  I think that's the point, though.  To love it so much you hate it, or to hate it so much you love it.  Or I could be totally wrong, over thinking the whole book, and putting way to much emotion into the ideas laid out in this beautiful story.
Either way;  Bravo, Mr. Green.



“That's why I like you. Do you realize how rare it is to come across a hot girl who creates a adjectival version of the word pedophile? You are so busy being you that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented you are.” 
― John GreenThe Fault in Our Stars

“I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.” 
― John GreenThe Fault in Our Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment